Sunday, 20 September 2015

Getting things wrong

Well that was amusing.  The original typed title was Getting Things Wring

Getting things wrong.  I do this a lot.  In small ways and bigger ways.  Today was a good example of getting things wrong in a way that could have been huge if it hadn't been for how the other person handled it. 
I lost my temper with my boyfriend and stomped off.  We walked home (me stomping off in front) and I sat down with a coffee in the corner of the sofa sulking and crying.  Regardless of the reason for the argument I over reacted, and part of the reason for me crying was because I couldn't work out how to make it right again.  I had gotten so far down the road of being angry and upset that I didn't know how to get back on the road of being happy and going forward together like we usually do.

This entry was going to be about the fact that we all get it wrong and we all need to just own up to that and move forward - but as I was typing the paragraph above I realised that you can see parallels between my experience today and our relationship with God.  That it is possible for us to get so far from God that we can't see a way back.  That we then sulk and cry and feel angry and hurt because we just don't know what to do to make it right.  And that's where God comes to us and (in the words of my beloved and patient and wonderful boyfriend) says to come here and have a cuddle. 

I am incredibly lucky in my boyfriend.  He is one of the best things to ever happen to me, and I don't show him that often enough. 
God is even bigger and better than that.  God loves us.  No matter how far away we go, he wants us to come and have a cuddle and to know that He loves us.  OK - perhaps once we have calmed down and cried and cuddled there might then be a serious chat about how we got to that point and how we can avoid getting so confused again; but the point is that WE ARE LOVED.  And that is a pretty amazing thing when you think about it.  That no matter how much we lose our tempers, or get things wrong, or are stubborn, we are still loved. 

1 comment:

  1. "...while he was still far off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion; he ran and put his arms around him and kissed him." Luke 15

    No matter how far we go, God is always waiting for the first moment of turning round so that he can run to meet us to bring us home.

    ReplyDelete