Wednesday, 23 September 2015

Some things I want to think about

I get a lot of "ooooh!  must think about this" moments, but often forget them by the time I find myself with enough time to think them through.
So this is me making notes to think the following through properly:
  • Why do some Christians cross themselves?  Why do some Christians not cross themselves?  What's the meaning behind this?  After looking into it, is it something I want to see if this is right for me?
  • Confession - more of a Catholic thing than Anglican in most minds, but what are the ideas behind it for an Anglican?  I know some people do confess to priests, but is it necessary to make public or semi-public confessions of our failings or is it better to bring them directly to God?
  • Where am I going?  What is important to me?  What exactly is it that I want to do?  This one may well be a mind-map exercise ....... I do like mind-map exercises.
  • Exploring Anglican traditions.  This one might stay on a back burner for a while as I am in the middle of at least 2 new longer term things already.  Basically, I want to know the reasons why we do things a certain way.  I want to understand our rituals and traditions, not just go along with them blindly and unthinkingly.

1 comment:

  1. The sign o the cross can have different meanings depending on who is using it.

    Under... certain vicars... who can be considered low church, a church may fall out of the habit of doing it, because it is not expected or taught.

    When I was younger I was taught that it was normally to be done at three times:

    - At the mention of the "holy name" (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)
    - When approaching a holy area (for example approaching the altar to read the gospels etc)
    - At times of trouble and concern

    All three for the same reasoning - a reminder that Christians are sealed into salvation by the cross of Christ.

    you might find the following two sites useful:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_of_the_cross

    http://catholicexchange.com/21-things-cross

    ReplyDelete