Wednesday, 2 September 2015

Why this blog?

I blame the boyfriend.  (Waves to boyfriend). 
We have both been encouraged to keep a journal, and we're both finding it a challenge for various reasons.  Personally, although I do love my beautiful journal the boyfriend got me (leather with dragons and handmade paper - it smells lovely and has clasps) I find it increasingly difficult to write for decent lengths of time, probably due to the amount of typing I have done for the last *mutters* years as part of my previous work, and as part of general life (eg Facebook, emails etc).  Basically, writing makes my hand ache.  Typing doesn't.  So while I will keep my hardcopy journal going (easy to carry and make notes in and can doodle) I will also have this blog for musings.

So what do I muse?  Well everything really.  I love playing with an idea, and trying to see it from as many sides as possible.  Let's take something easy.  The Lord of the Rings.  I adore TLOTR and The Hobbit.  I read the books when I was between 10 and 12.  The LOTR films were 3 years of wonderful birthday presents.  And now The Hobbit.  I won't go into what I think of the film versions of the books.  That's an entirely different topic.  What I am using that as an example of is where I can look at different sides of things.
So.  Sauron.  Big evil glowey eye.  World domination.  Right?
Well hang on - why is he like that?  What are his reasons for what he does?  What are his aims and objectives?  What in his past has caused him to behave how he does in the present? 
I don't know these answers.  I haven't managed to read the Silmarillion yet, which has a lot more backstory.  But that's not the point.  The important thing isn't always the answer.  It's the question.  And that's what I like.
So this blog is likely to be a very confusing space for anyone who isn't me :-)  Sorry guys.  If you come on here you're likely to find yourself in my head.  Good luck! 

2 comments:

  1. Seriously?? You named the blog after a song in the buffy musical... oy vey....

    ReplyDelete